General Description and Program Goals
The Master of Arts in Music degree is a two-year program designed to provide opportunities for advanced study in music so that graduates may use their musical talents to serve the Church and the world. Graduates will be qualified to serve as directors of music, private music instructors, and performers. The M.A. in Music program requires 44 semester credits. As many as 22 semester credits of graduate work may be transferred from another institution.
The goals of the Master of Arts in Music program are that students will be equipped:
- To prepare students for music ministries.
Upon completing this degree, students will be able to:
- Integrate Bible/theology and music critically;
- Exhibit a substantial and growing spiritual and personal maturity as a musician;
- Demonstrate practical performance skills in conducting, praise ministry, voice, and instrument;
- Demonstrate ability to influence and lead others in church music;
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of art music in the Western European tradition; and
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of music styles as discovered in musical analysis.
Students who do not have a BA in music must take 9 credits of BA-level prerequisite courses. The following courses are required:
MT151 Musicianship I (2 credits)
MT255 Keyboard Harmony I (2 credits)
MH343 Music History (3 credits)
MP171 Individual Instruction I (2 credits)
For students who do not have a BA in music, but do have college-level music instruction, they will meet with the music program director to assess which prerequisites may still be needed.
To graduate from the Master of Arts in Music program, the student is required to have completed a minimum of 44 semester credits of course work with a 2.5 GPA or above. At least 23 credits must be completed at World Mission University.
Students must present a full recital and receive a passing grade. In addition, students in Choral Conducting and Vocal must pass a Keyboard Proficiency Examination before graduation.
Course Titles and Level
All courses at the Masters level are numbered 500 – 699. Course descriptions are provided in this catalog.
Degree Requirements: 44 Credits
The M.A. in Music requires 44 semester credits of course work comprised of 6 semester credits of Biblical/Theological studies and 3 semester credits of Practices of Ministry studies and 4 credits of field education, and 31 semester credits of Professional Studies.